I am unfortunately not one of those women who can ask their mother for advice and encouragement.
That statement is probably one of the toughest things I have had to come to terms with since my mom’s passing. When something like that happens, I imagine most people are filled with a multitude of questions. You want to know why this had to happen. You want to know how this void can be filled in your life. Yet my biggest question was incredibly selfish. I wanted to know who was going to teach me how to be a wife and eventually a mother.
In the grand scheme of life, I suppose that my burning question is rather insignificant. The world’s great minds have asked far more important questions than this. But still, I asked the question and it has bothered me ever since.
I felt like the little girl who so badly wanted to be in the same class as all her friends in school and was instead put into another and forced to start over. But my teachers are not who I expected they would be. It was not until recently that I realized that I am surrounded by teachers with such a huge wealth of advice and love. These new teachers are my friends and family. I wouldn't allow myself to see them through all the tears, I suppose. In a relatively short time frame, I have been told stories and given advice that I feel will be invaluable as I reach certain points in my life. I actually look forward to learning more because everyone has, in forms large and small, contributed to my continued growth as an adult.
Wade once told me that he believes the most sincere showing of appreciation one can give is to simply say “thank you”.
And so I say to everyone, thank you!
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Brit. We are both so lucky to have so many different people who love us. I never thought life would be this hard. Never in a million years. But like you, I'm so thankful for all the people that did big things, and for those that do little things too. Sometimes people have no idea how much of an impact the little things can have!
Post a Comment