Some of you may recognize this post from my MySpace account. I decided to move it on over to this site. Enjoy.
Oh how I loved you. You were such a lively color of blue. I remember seeing you on the display in the store. I thought "that's a shade I haven't worn before". And I took a chance on you. I sifted through the pile until I found you. I don't even recall checking the price tag. We walked happily to the counter and you were placed in a perfect bag and carted proudly out of the store along with others that caught my eye that day.
Did you see it coming? When I placed you into the laundry basket, could you sense that the end was near? Did you cry ever-so-slightly, knowing that the next time we laid eyes on each other, something would be different?
I feel as though I let you down, my little blue shirt. I should have checked to make sure there were no imposters in the washing machine. But alas, it was not the washing machine that caused your demise. I suspect that you survived your tumble with the detergent, along with the others.
Into the dryer I tossed you, careful to set the temperature on low so you would not shrink or lose your vibrant shade. I did not realize the evil that lurked in Wade's jeans. I had no idea that the pen Wade left in his pants would hurt you. Oh, how the heat must have caused that pen to leak its toxic color onto your sleeve. And collar. And the other sleeve. Its useless, as the putrid black ink had turned you into a spotted wonder.
By the time I found you in the dryer, all warm and clean smelling, it was too late. No amount of Spray-N-Wash could reverse the damage. I gasped in horror as I saw the top to the pen. Then I found the spring. Next the plastic casing. Finally, the final blow - the empty barrel of ink.
Rest assured, my favorite blue shirt, that you are not alone. Many before you have endured the same plight. May you take comfort in knowing that you lived a full and wonderful life.
I know you certainly will not be the last. There will be others.
And Wade's clothes will NEVER again be washed with mine ...
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment